This is probably more a Batik question but as I encountered it in the
FOP context and Batik people are on this list here we go:

When decoding a TIFF image (black / white fax) using Batik and then
looking at the returned color space, e.g.
  <image>.getColorModel().getColorSpace();
that color space has a profile of java.awa.color.ICC_ProfileRGB.
However, I would have expected a color space of ICC_ProfileGray. This
is sort of important as the correct color space must be set on the
image object in the PDF. I currently set it manually but thats not
ideal.

Manuel