Like others I'm hesitant to call it 1.0 just yet. 0.9 sends the right
signal IMO. We're not quite where we want to be but we are soon and
people can start looking at the new package.

We don't just have features that exceed FOP 0.20.5. We also have points
where FOP Trunk is still inferior to 0.20.5:
- Can't cope with changing available BPD between pages in the same
page-sequence.
- There are probably a number of little features and bug fixes that
weren't ported to CVS HEAD/FOP Trunk at that time.
- Restrictions with footnotes in conjunction with multi-column documents.
- 0.20.5 has some kind of weird border collapsing where FOP Trunk simply
doesn't support it, yet.
- wrap-option is not supported.
- missing functionality with keep-with-previous on table-rows which 0.20.5
handles well enough.
- leaders/rules are incomplete
- Fewer renderers available, only PDF and PS are really usable right now.
- stability and usability, of course. :-)
(there may be more...)

BTW, you're welcome to add your list to the release plan. I think it's a
good idea to have this information available.