This is (again) more of a clarifying question as I am looking in that area
of the code and I think its incorrect:

Am I correct in saying: The position of the before/after/start/end regions
on the output media is relative to the writing-mode and reference
orientation on the simple-page-master they belong to?

Currently some of their positioning is determined by the writing-mode set on
the regions themselves, which usually would be the same as on the
simple-page-master, but it can be different and then the current
implementation seems to get itself confused.

Manuel