Jeremias Maerki wrote:

I got a little shock when I realized a problem I didn't think of when we
discussed moving FOP components over to XML Graphics Commons. We said we
would try to remove logging code from these basic components entirely.
Now, I forgot to consider the decision to use FOrayFont made earlier.
The external dependency on FOrayFont also would be a problem in itself
because the Batik side has strong feelings against external dependencies.
We need to think about what to do about this WRT the PDF and PS
transcoders. Optimized text painting in these two transcoders depends a
lot on the font subsystem.

Ouch! The FORayFont integration offers a hugh functional benefit over the current Font code, so it would be a real shame to lose it. IIRC Thomas was saying that he was against dependencies that don't yield any functional benefit, i.e. logging and avalon framework. Since FORayFont does have functional benefits for both projects perhaps it won't be such a problem for Batik to include it. But I guess that is up the Batik team to decide.

<snip/>

Chris