Manuel Mall wrote:

yes, that is an option. What I am unsure about here is that the children, typically text areas, do not take the line spacing into account when reporting their bpd, that is the usually 10% space above and below the character. So what is the correct bpd for an fo:inline which has text area children: is it just the max bpd of its children or is it max bpd plus any line spacing settings from its parent?

Oh, yes, the "half-leading" trait ...

If I understand correctly the specs (4.5 Line areas) this line spacing must be added to the bpd of each inline area too. As it is the same for all inline areas, it could be stored into the LayoutContext by the LineLM.

Regards
    Luca