It's probably easiest for now to do as Batik does. However, Type 1 fonts
provide information about sub and super scripts (size and placement) in
the PFM file. That data is currently not parsed. I assume there's
something similar in TrueType. So ideally, the font would supply the
information how exactly to handle super/sub script. But keeping it
simple for now will certainly not hurt.