Sounds like you guys are converging along these line:

1. Space properties are set as traits on each area.

2. Appearance of spaces is (largely) controlled by a combination of the
conditionality setting, being the first/last area of a reference area,
and the presence of "fences" (non zero border / padding).

Manuel