What I write next should be consumed with caution and the fact in mind
that English is a foreign language to me, because I have big trouble
translating 4.2.4. 4.2.4 defines "preceding" WRT to the area tree, but I
really can't parse that section. OTOH, 7.15.12 talks about flow objects,
not areas, even though we're in the area generation stage. I didn't find
a definition for "preceding" for the FO tree, BUT! XPath defines the
"preceding" axis so that the space after "Start" (in your example) is
directly preceding the first space inside the inline. So if you ask me,
the current behaviour of FOP is correct. D'oh! :-)