On 01.12.2005 13:30:05 Luca Furini wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > The first concerns indent inheritance [...]
> >
> > So what I'd like to do is implement the alternative behaviour as a
> > configurable option in the FO tree. The default would still be what the
> > specification describes (see [1]), but users would be able to set a
> > switch that would make FOP reset start-indent and end-indent to zero in
> > cases where in the area tree a reference area boundary would be crossed
> > (block-containers and table-cell, mainly).
>
> I agree with the need to provide users what they expect, but I did not
> understand where this switch will be:

I did not say.

> in the configuration file (+1) or in
> the document itself as an extension property / element (not so
> enthusiastic about that)?
>
> In the first case the file would be correct, only its rendering will be
> "deliberately wrong": the user is aware that he is requiring a
> non-standard rendering *to the formatter*.
>
> In the second the document itself would require a non-standard rendering,
> which only our implementation will provide; in other words, it seems to me
> that this solution would give the impression that the file itself is
> enough to achieve the expected result, while it is not.
>
> Or maybe you were thinking of something else?

No. The second idea would kill the effect of the change. Someone would
still have to modify a stylesheet to make it work with FOP. That is not
the idea. I assume it will be good enough to control the option via the
user agent and indirectly through the configuration file.

> > The second issue is about the collapsing border model. Currently, having
> > an fo:table with no explicit border-collapse="separate" results in a
> > warning message in the log as well as frequent exceptions due to the
> > fact that this border model not completely implemented. I would like to
> > modify the FO tree in a way that a table always reports being in
> > separate border model mode. The other idea would have been to change the
> > default but I don't particularly like that approach because it breaks
> > the spec. Obviously, this is only a temporary measure until the
> > collapsing border model becomes usable.
>
> I agree with you, I prefer the first option.

Thanks for your feedback.