On Monday 06 February 2006 18:44, Luca Furini wrote:
> Manuel Mall wrote:
<snip/>

> > 1. Justified text: pen INF + elastic glue
> > 2. All other justification modes: either just a box of the width of
> > the space or pen INF + fixed width glue.
>
> I think in both cases (justified / unjustified text) we could use
> either a sequence with only glues and penalties, or a sequence with
> boxes too.
>
> For the justified text, it could be:
>    box w=0 + pen INF + elastic glue
>
> The choice of the sequence (completely suppressible / with boxes too)
> depends on the "suppress-at-line-break" property, whose default value
> is "auto", meaning that only the normal U+0020 space is suppressed at
> a break.
>
> However, things are not so simple, and maybe we cannot just check the
> local value of the property. I see a couple of
> potentially-problematic situations.

<snip/>

Luca,

IMO nbsp (and any other Unicode special spaces) are outside the scope of
XSL-FO whitespace handling. XSL-FO refers to whitespace as defined in
XML. In XML only x#20, x#9, x#a, and x#d are considered whitespace.
Therefore nbsp does not need to be considered when looking at
white-space-treatment and white-space-collapse. Would that approach
remove the complications you mentioned?

> If nbsps must be suppressed, should an empty line be created or not?
>
> WDYT?
>
> Regards
>      Luca

Cheers