On 27.02.2006 16:25:03 Manuel Mall wrote:
> On Monday 27 February 2006 23:16, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> > > Yes, that is my interpretation as well.
> > >
> > > Side question: Do I understand correctly that only inheritable
> > > properties can be put on ancestor objects (Spec 5.1.4)? If so, and
> > > as suppress-at-line-break is not inheritable what sense does the
> > > allowed value "inherit" than make?
> >
> > No, you can actually specify any property anywhere. But if a property
> > does not "apply" to an element it is not evaluated/used by it. I used
> > to believe that we should warn about the use of non-inherited
> > properties on elements these properties don't apply to, but the
> > "inherit" value is exactly the reason why this is perfectly legal,
> > although this may add to the overall complexity for the user with
> > (IMO) little benefit. I've never had to use "inherit" before.
> >

> You are confusing me: Further above you said that
> "suppress-at-line-break" cannot be specified on a fo:block but now you
> seem to say it can, it just does not apply. Why is 5.1.4 saying
> "inheritable properties can be placed on any formatting object" when
> according to your interpretation any property (be it inheritable or
> not) can be placed on any object.

Sorry, wasn't my intention. I'm still adjusting to the fact that I was
under a different belief earlier.

XSL-FO, Page 4 (PDF, bottom) says: "Although every formatting property
may be specified on every formatting object, for each formatting object
class, only a subset of the formatting properties are used to determine
the traits for objects of that class." That's what I was missing earlier.
That's also why there probably is no official XML Schema for XSL-FO. :-)