Jörg,

remember this thread on fop-users? I've just found out what's wrong.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the PDFRenderer or the PDF library
concerning reference freeing. It does it so as soon as each image is
written to the PDF which always happens immediately.

But I found that org.apache.fop.fo.flow.ExternalGraphic unnecessarily
maintains a hard reference on a FopImage. Unnecessarily, because we just
need the instrinsic size there. The FopImage is never reset to null
after use. I fixed that and: d'oh, still not good.

I ended up in the image cache and in the Javadocs for WeakHashMap where
I found that little detail that the weak reference is on the key, not
the value. And the key is the URL (String) which is passed around in FOP.
Ok, so I changed the WeakHashMap to a HashMap and wrapped the values in
WeakReferences. Tadaaa! A PDF with 182 JPEG images with a total size of
258 MB is suddenly produced without exceptions using the VM's default
heap settings, never going beyond 26MB heap usage. *g*

Will test some more and then commit later.