Ok, I can see why you would want tabs here. Tables are probably a little
overkill here. What I would do in this case is to use list-block and
count characters in the title column. I'd set the
provisional-distance-between-starts property depending on the number of
characters. You won't get the exact same effect but I think it should be
near enough with little effort in XSLT and no hacking into FOP,
introducing a feature that's difficult to implement and completely
non-standard.