Andreas L Delmelle writes:
 > If I remember correctly, that was precisely the problem, since
 > Cliff's report consists of one giant table. It's supposed to look
 > like one uninterrupted flow, so figuring out where the page-sequences
 > should end is next to impossible... (or IOW: sorting that out kind of
 > defeats the purpose of using a formatter to compute the page-breaks) :/

That's exactly the same problem I ran up against. Hence my investigations
into properties and memory consumption. On my current setup (as per the
last patch under 41044) and using my current 16MB fo file, the object
counts are as follows:

349576 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CondLengthProperty
145647 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.KeepProperty
126237 instances of class org.xml.sax.helpers.LocatorImpl
116521 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.SpaceProperty
87814 instances of class java.lang.Object[]
87458 instances of class java.util.ArrayList
87394 instances of class
org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonBorderPaddingBackground
87394 instances of class
org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonBorderPaddingBackground$BorderInfo[]
87394 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CondLengthProperty[]
81632 instances of class char[]
48548 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.LengthRangeProperty
42649 instances of class java.lang.String
38841 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonMarginBlock
38839 instances of class org.apache.fop.datatypes.LengthBase
38839 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PercentLength
38838 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block
38836 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.flow.TableCell
9710 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.flow.TableRow
5021 instances of class java.lang.Integer
4329 instances of class java.util.HashMap$Entry
1521 instances of class java.lang.Class
787 instances of class java.awt.Color
667 instances of class java.util.HashMap$Entry[]
658 instances of class java.util.HashMap
330 instances of class java.util.Hashtable$Entry
201 instances of class java.util.WeakHashMap$Entry
181 instances of class org.apache.fop.fo.properties.EnumProperty
160 instances of class java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$HashEntry[]
160 instances of class java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment
160 instances of class java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$NonfairSync
127 instances of class java.lang.String[]
116 instances of class java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry
110 instances of class byte[]

As you can see, there's still a lot of value in getting the compound
properties reusable - which I still intend on doing. This won't make it
possible to handle arbitary documents, but will at least raise the bar
somewhat.

I'm also currently reading through Knuth's Digital Typography. Can anyone
point out any sections I should pay particular attention to w.r.t. FOP's
usage,

Regards,

Richard