Jeremias-

Thanks! Sounds great on #1.

As for the font stuff...we need to be able to have "per template" fonts
as the application allows for dynamic addition of new ones and there are
multiple independent users. One of the problems with our current system
is having to manage fonts for multiple projects on a system-wide
basis...and automating their installation.

Here's a "sneak peak" at how I've done it in my environment...let me
know if you see any "gotchas" in this 30,000ft view....

In my application I've already created a custom renderer that extends
Java2DRenderer, so I overrode "setupFontInfo" with code essentially
copied from org.apache.fop.fonts.FontSetup.addConfiguredFonts(). Then,
due to the cast to the concrete class "FontMetricsMapper" in
Java2DGraphicsState.updateFont line 131 from HEAD, I created a new class
that extends FontMetricsMapper, overriding *all* of the methods and
using an underlying "LazyFont" for the metrics and the java.awt.Font for
the actual font. Clearly this is a messy work-around, but I didn't want
to muck-about with my own fork of FOP.

My first thoughts regarding a patch would be to turn FontMetricsMapper
into an interface or abstract class (haven't reviewed that closely
yet)...or look into the addition of a separate interface for the methods
required by Java2DGraphicsState. Then the current FontMetricsMapper
would be refactored into a new concrete class -- same code -- and a new
"UserFontMetricsMapper" or something would implement the same ints.

So first, does this seem reasonable?

Second - my version of this (I named it 'UserFontMetricMapper')
delegates the "Typeface" methods to a LazyFont instance -- so basically
I'm using the generated font metrics from the xml file, *not* calculated
from the actual awt Font. It *looks* good to me onscreen, but I don't
know if this is a reasonable strategy or not. Since I'm generating
*both* PDFs and bitmaps using the same templates, it seemed reasonable
to use the same font metrics. But I don't know enough to be confident
about that. Just this morning I noticed a "CustomFont" class and the
"FontLoader" which seem like they could have a role here in place of the
LazyFont class and my loading code...though I haven't had a chance to
review these more closely and give it much thought.

As for the paperwork...no biggie...we've got an Apache committer on
staff and know the drill!

Thanks!

Patrick K. Jaromin
VP Technology