On 04 Jun 2009, at 14:53, Ben Wuest wrote:

Hi Ben

I agree that this should happen behind the scenes without the user
having to specify anything. I had to perform this work-around the way I
did because of our current time constraints.  Hopefully, this can lead
to something else. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the Apache FOP Source only extends to the last week of work getting this work-around in place.

All the more credit to you then, if you accomplished to understand enough to do it in one week! :-)

If you ever considered becoming a more steady contributor, you are very welcome to join us (as far as I'm concerned). Note that you will probably want to check our code-style guidelines in that case (minor details, but important for getting patches committed sooner rather than later).

I am pretty sure, however, that to implement memory management
effectively for FOP (behind the scenes) for RTF and PDF, the two
handlers (RTFHandler and AreaTreeHandler) will have to be modified.
Having said that, I think it will be much easier to modify the RTF
rendering because it does not use the Page Breaking Algorithm.

Definitely true. For the AreaTreeHandler, the code that is currently in endPageSequence() would have to be relocated to trigger the doLayout() loop sooner. I've considered starting this at some point, but quickly ran into some 'walls'. The whole layout loop is implemented so ... tightly (?) As you noticed, disentangling that web is really far from trivial.

Anyway, thanks again for this contribution!