Hi Giuseppe,

that is a good new! and you are welcome.

You can contribute initially by writing patches (see [1]), that is the
most common way for an initial contribution.
IIUC, you are ready to help on index implementation ([2]: REC 1.1 § 6.10).
I don't know if somebody in the dev team have some thought about this,
so the question is open and should be asked on Fop dev list.
I see nothing about indexes neither in Fop site nor Fop Wiki.
I guess that indexes implementation should act in multiple parts:
properties, areas tree, layout, but there are some gurus that can give a
more precise answer.
So, Giusseppe I suggest to continue this discussion on FOP dev.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e13293

Pascal