I think we are taking the only reasonable route available w.r.t. complex
script support, namely reading the OTF font directly to extract and use the
advanced typographic tables. The same mechanisms can be used for the TTF AAT
tables as well.

The inquiry that started this thread seems most interested in CFF support,
and not complex scripts. However, I haven't looked into what is needed to
add CFF support.

G.