I've done a lot with the CXF multi-part support, and I could have
sworn that it's an implementation of the JAX-RS standard.

Spring is no longer required for CXF, though I'm accustomed to using
it ,and there's considerable OSGi fermentation at CXF that I'm not
always qualified to comprehend.

For the 'here's a war, drop it into tomcat' case, it seems to me that
the mass of CXF with or without Spring is not an issue, though
obviously a lighter version would be easier to disassemble and
reassemble into something else, like OSGi. I'm not denying that a
claiming that a pure servlet would be intractable, just noting that
I've been knocking out JAX-RS services, often with multi-part, so it
would be straightforward *for me*.

I await other commentary.