I'm adding a feature to allow enable/disable of complex script features
(bidi, complex char to glyph mapping) at runtime, using either (or both)
command line option and config file element; the question I have is whether
to enable or disable by default?

If enabled by default, those who don't use complex scripts or don't want
advanced typography features in non-complex scripts will incur a minor
performance penalty.

If disabled by default, then those users who use complex scripts or want
advanced typography features in non-complex scripts will need to do
something special to enable this support.

What does the group think? I don't have a strong preference either way.

G.