One of the many beauties of linux is the repositories handle these
things for you. But basically you need to use ant directly, you don't
need to compile it, it can be done from the command prompt, you just
need to put ant in the environment variables %PATH%, instructions can
be found here:

http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html

I'd just install Cygwin and save myself the hassle of dealing with the
command prompt in Windows, but then you maybe more Windows literate
than me.

Mehdi