From: Stephen Clarke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February 22, 2002 1:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: individual character in symbol font?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arved Sandstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 3:15 AM

> Ideally, and I don't think FOP does this yet, this is what
> "font-selection-strategy" (and other font properties) are for. In
practical
> terms this really comes down to specifying your "font-family" property in
> such a way that when the processor sees that character (the Greek
> character), it makes its first glyph match using the Symbol font.

Hi Arved,

Thanks for the reply.

> Failing that you have to do a workaround at the moment of the kind you
> suggest. Doing the <greek>S</greek> kind of thing is probably easiest;
your
> XSLT template can turn that into an fo:character.

OK. Good. But you wouldn't believe how stoopid I am. I don't even know the
xsl to turn

<element>Non equidem insector delendave carmina Livi esse reor, memini quae
plagosum mihi parvo Orbilium dictare; <greek>S</greek>sed emendata videri
pulchraque et exactis minimum distantia miror. Inter quae verbum emicuit si
forte decorum, et si versus paulo concinnior unus et alter, venditque
poema.</element>

into

<fo:block>Non equidem insector delendave carmina Livi esse reor, memini quae
plagosum mihi parvo Orbilium dictare; <fo:character character="S"
font-family="Symbol"/>sed emendata videri pulchraque et exactis minimum
distantia miror. Inter quae verbum emicuit si forte decorum, et si versus
paulo concinnior unus et alter, venditque poema.</element>

Do you happen to know what would be the xsl:fo to do that? There must be a
way but i can't think what it is. {:-(

let's see...
<fo:block><xsl:value-of select="element"><xsl:apply-templates
select="greek"/></xsl:value-of></fo:block>

.. would that be it. But I don't think it would even parse. Can see where
I'm at with this? {:-(

Grateful for any further assistance.
--
Best,