My guess is table-footer is working exactly as intended.

Are you sure you don't want to use a page footer?  Something that always
gets placed at the bottom of a page?  If so, look into using
xsl-region-after

<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

        <fo:layout-master-set>
                <fo:simple-page-master master-name="example"
margin-top="10mm" margin-bottom="10mm" margin-left="10mm"
margin-right="10mm" page-width="170mm" page-height="170mm">
                        <fo:region-after extent="20mm"/>
                        <fo:region-body margin-bottom="20mm"/>
                </fo:simple-page-master>
        </fo:layout-master-set>

        <fo:page-sequence master-reference="example">

                <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
                        <fo:block>Footer</fo:block>
                </fo:static-content>

                <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">.....

HTH,
Scott