Scott Moore wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.  I'm gonna go with the assumption that
Helvetica = Arial and not embed the Arial.TTF file, which bloats the PDF.

According to http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/docs/filefmtspecs/PDFReference.pdf page 795, Helvetica, Arial and ArialMT are something like synonyms for the built-in sans-serif font. I vaguely remember I read somewhere else on the Adobe site that the 5 font-families supported are Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, Symbol and Zapf Dingbats, which are incidentally the names of the fonts used in MS Windows. The font metrics file from Adobe uses Helvetica, the canonical name. AFAIK the real fonts Helvetica, Arial and Arial MT are somewhat different, the latter two are designed to resemble the first, which is historically the first being designed, while still have enough differences in details to avoid copyright problems and accusations of plagiarism.

J.Pietschmann