From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 18. november 2002 14:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Embed font results in FontFormatException ?

Hi Dennis

I was totally blind when I read your initial mail. Sorry, I was wasting
your time. See my comments below.

On 15.11.2002 11:33:20 Dennis Myrén wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am using the FOP tools to generate PDF output from FO documents.
> In the PDF document, i need to embed a PostScript Font named
> StandardGroteskBSK.
> This is my userconfig.xml file:
> <configuration>
>   <fonts>
> metrics-file="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DVDebugger\bin\Debug\FontMetrics\SK021___.xml"
>  kerning="yes"
>     embed-file="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Type
> Manager\psfonts\SK021___.PFB">
> />
> metrics-file="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DVDebugger\bin\Debug\FontMetrics\SK051___.xml"
>  kerning="yes"
>     embed-file="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Type
> Manager\psfonts\SK051___.PFB">
>   </fonts>
> </configuration>
>
> I get no errors during the FOP.bat batch job while generating the PDF.
> However, text in the PDF document(etc. cells in tables) are very bad aligned,
> it looks awful.
>
> I read that sometimes one need to manually alter the PFMReader generated XML
> font metrics file,
> to correct the approximated values.
> I followed an example to do that with my XML metrics file, but the result is
> as bad as before.
>
> When placing the PDF object in an Illustrator 10 document, a messagebox pops
> up:
> "The document "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DVDebugger\bin\Debug\output.PDF" contains
> objects that have been interpreted."
> "Missing Type1 fonts have been substituted with the default font".
> As the PDF elements are no longer objects, i cant select a text element to
> see if it is the correct font.

I think I know what causes this problem. I believe that the PFB file is
not embedded correctly into the PDF file. There are little segment
prefixes in the PFB file that are not directly described in the Type 1
specification, but only in the "Download Fonts" spec from Adobe. Adobe
Acrobat doesn't mind that, but maybe Illustrator doesn't like that. I'll
try to fix that. The only problem I have is that I don't have Adobe
Illustrator to test afterwards. I'll send you a PDF to check when I've
got it.

> I then tried the parameter "-print" with FOP.bat,
> to print the document directly.
> First I embedded Verdana with this print job, that worked.
> Then i used this PostScript font StandardGroteskBSK, which raised a
> FontFormatException.

This MUST fail. "-print" invokes the AWTRenderer. AWT does only support
TrueType font to be loaded from a file, but not Type 1 fonts. That's why
you get an error. So this means you can't use a Type 1 font if you want
to use the AWT/Print renderer. Try removing the embed-file attribute in
the userconfig.xml and check if the font is properly used if it's
installed on your system. Of course, you will have to reenable
embed-file if you generate a PDF with embedded fonts.

Jeremias Maerki