Simon,

> In fact, it stays one question... How can I test the value of a
> <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="theme" /> tag (I
> understood now
> that it is not evaluated by the same process than the xsl
> stylesheet) ?
>
> I have to write a border with text from top to bottom, and the
> 'writing-mode' properties is not implemented yet, so I just
> want to use a
> graphic to do that, but I need to test the marker value to choose the
> right graphic.

Put the graphic in the marker, ie test happens before assignment, not
retrieval
Block formatting is applied on assignment, but the graphic must be small
enough to fit in the block containing the retrieve (ie use height & width)
or nothing is displayed.

eg. bastardised a table continued marker to test it worked (0.20.5rc2):

      <fo:block line-height="15pt">
        <fo:marker marker-class-name="table-continued">
              <xsl:variable name="sign">
                <xsl:value-of select="Header/sign"/>
              </xsl:variable>
          <fo:external-graphic src="file:images/{$sign}" height="10pt"/>
        </fo:marker>
      </fo:block>

        <fo:block height="15pt">
          fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="table-continued"
                              retrieve-boundary="page"
                              retrieve-position="last-ending-within-page"/>
        </fo:block>

> Is that possible, or should I use something like another XSL
> transformation to put a &#160; after each character ?
That would probably work too & would be simpler to convert when it is
implemented. Up to you.

Cheers,
Roland