If you look through the archives look for the thread, FopServlet, passing parameters as URL.  There is code on their to read the xml/xsl from a url and output the pdf to the response object in the servlet.  So if you had another web based process that you could pass parameters in your url to generate the correct xml / xsl document this would allow for fileless operation.

-Adam

 ----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: April 28, 2003 7:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help: Output from servlet is garbage

First of all.... thanks for clearing me up on the IE issue, etc.
The problem I am trying to solve is generating the fo: without having to write and read from a file. Either there aren't any or I was so thick as not to see any examples of doing this without having to do this. Are you suggesting there is some other way of doing this without using files? I would really appreciate (as usual!) any pointers on how to do file-less servlet generation of the pdf.

Thanks very much, Joe
> <CODE-SNIPPET>
This seems to be awfully overcomplicated. In particular this:
>  Reader reader = new  java.io.StringReader(strBuffer1.toString());
indicates you are building an XML string in memory, then parse it,
which is often inefficient.
Look at the FOP FAQ
  http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#part-iex
and the code samples here