Ben Galbraith wrote:
We are, however, not sure how to vertically center text within a block (or a table cell). The spec defines a property "vertical-align" which seems to control this,
This property is for aligning stuff within a line.

but using the property doesn't seem to work with FOP.
The implementation is a bit limited.

Aftering reading the FOP FAQ, I used "display-align" property on a table-cell, but it didn't work. However, I discovered that I *must* define the height of the table-cell by setting the "height" on the table-row (setting the height of the table or the table-cell results in vertical centering having no effect).

Is this a spec issue or a FOP issue?
This is a FOP limitation.

Also, the text turns out to be a little off center, which I am assuming is due to some default value of the line height or some other specific detail about the XSL-FO spec. Am I right, or is this a known FOP bug?
This is probably a visual effect caused by (conformant) line height
calculation.

J.Pietschmann