I may have caused a misunderstanding: There's no need to change anything
about Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's a matter of implementing the missing
functionality in FOP so FOP supports/creates the ToUnicode CMaps in PDF.
These ToUnicode CMaps enable the Acrobat Reader to properly extract text
using characters beyond Latin1/PDFDocEncoding (8-bit).

Working around the problem using special Type 1 fonts (PFM/PFB) may be a
solution though a rather hacky and complicated one.

Please contact me off-list if you're interested in funding the
implementation.

Jeremias Maerki