Ben Galbraith wrote:
Yep, that's what I need. I was pretty sure that FOP didn't support it, but hey, neither does any other XSL 1.0 compliant tool.

I think I will just approximate the lengths of lines (thanks to JP's comment) unless it proves woefully inaccurate. If it does, I think I may try and write a patch to add support for multi-column blocks, unless wrapping my head around the FOP maintenance code proves too time-consuming. My last resort would be to manipulate various FOP objects in my code to use FOP's line-length algorithm.

Thanks for your help, in any event.

Wait a minute. I don't know yet how it's done, but here's something useful: http://www.renderx.com/Tests/columns.fo

It shows how to create a multi-columned whatchamacallit.

Running it in FOP doesn't output exactly what is output with RenderX's XEP (not to mention the few errors you get w/ fonts, footnotes & such), however pages 3-8 (or 3-5 in AWT?) does have flowing text among the 2, 3 or 5 columns! The PDF I generated with FOP-0.20.4 looks pretty close to what was generated w/ RenderX:

http://www.renderx.com/Tests/columns.pdf

Pretty neat!
--
Clay Leeds - [EMAIL PROTECTED]