Hi,

Thanks for the response - I have tried to change from
fo:instream-foreign-objects to fp:external graphics using either JPEG or PNG
images created from my charts by my Cocoon application (ie., I can request
these images from a browser, with correct MIME types, etc) using the
following xsl:fo, but still no joy :(

<fo:external-graphic
src="http://localhost:7001/cocoon/n13/chart/mfilist-report/mfi_report_countr
y_category.jpg"/>

I get the following error(s) in my log-file.

ERROR   (2003-05-27) 08:59.10:156   [cocoon.m] (/cocoon/list.report)
ExecuteThread: '12' for queue: 'default'/MessageHandler: Could not load
external SVG: The current document is unable to create an element of the
requested type (namespace: http://www.w3.org/2000/svg, name: head).
ERROR   (2003-05-27) 08:58.14:796   [cocoon.m] (/cocoon/list.report)
ExecuteThread: '12' for queue: 'default'/ExternalGraphic: Error while
creating area : No ImageReade
r for this type of image
(http://localhost:7001/cocoon/n13/chart/mfilist-report/mfi_report_country_ca
tegory.jpg)

If I load the above URL directly in my browser, and Save As... to my local
disk, change fo:external-graphic/@src to point to the file, it works.

If I save theSVG to the local path, I get the following exception
stack-trace

ERROR   (2003-05-27) 09:17.31:078   [cocoon.m]
(/cocoon/n13/mfi/mfi-list.report) ExecuteThread: '9' for queue:
'default'/PDFRenderer: svg graphic could not be built:
file:c:/mfi_report_country_category.svg:-1
An I/O error occured while processing the URI
'file:c:/mfi_report_country_category.svg#clipPath1' specified on the element
<rect>
org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeException:
file:c:/mfi_report_country_category.svg:-1
An I/O error occured while processing the URI
'file:c:/mfi_report_country_category.svg#clipPath1' specified on the element
<rect>
        at
org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.getReferencedElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.CSSUtilities.convertClipPath(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.batik.bridge.AbstractGraphicsNodeBridge.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.batik.bridge.SVGShapeElementBridge.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildComposite(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildComposite(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildComposite(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.build(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderSVGDocument(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.drawImageScaled(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderImageArea(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.image.ImageArea.render(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderLineArea(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.layout.LineArea.render(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderBlockArea(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.layout.BlockArea.render(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderAreaContainer(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.layout.ColumnArea.render(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderSpanArea(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.layout.SpanArea.render(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.fop.render.AbstractRenderer.renderBodyAreaContainer(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.renderPage(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer.render(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.queuePage(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.layout.AreaTree.addPage(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.format(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.StreamRenderer.render(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(Unknown Source)

For completeness, the definition and reference of #clipPath1 are copied
(out-of-context) here:

<clipPath clipPathUnits="userSpaceOnUse" id="clipPath1">
  <path d="M0 0 L660 0 L660 520 L0 520 L0 0 Z"/>
</clipPath>

<rect x="0" y="0" clip-path="url(#clipPath1)" width="660" height="520"
stroke="none"/>
<rect x="8" y="4" transform="translate(-142.2265625,-500.421875)"
clip-path="url(#clipPath1)" fill="white"
         width="644" height="489.421875" stroke="none"/>

Any suggestions?
Many Thanks,
Adrian

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith
but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the
ECB except where provided for in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any
unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is
prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.