From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 4:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using PDF Standard font "MT Arial" in FOP

Let's keep two things separated:

1. Helvetica, Courier etc. are the standard set of fonts defined even in
the latest PDF specification (PDF 1.4, Third Edition). See Chapter 5.5.1
under "Standard Type 1 fonts". This set of fonts is predefined in FOP.
PostScript uses the same, by the way.

2. The techdoc you mentioned earlier states facts about Adobe Acrobat
Reader 4.0 and later (which is not the same as PDF). There are other PDF
interpreters such as GhostScript and XPDF who may depend on other fonts.
GhostScript, for example, substitutes Helvetica with NimbusSanL or
something like that.

The whole thing simply means that if it is important to you that you are
in control of which font is actually used, then you have to embed it in
your PDF document. This is also mentioned in the techdoc you found.

So to answer your question: No, FOP doesn't have to be updated with
relation to standard fonts. Acrobat 4 and later automatically
substitutes a referenced (not embedded) Helvetica font with MT Arial.
GhostScript substitutes it with another font.

If you want to stick with MT Arial, then take the PFM files from your
Adobe Acrobat installation and create the font metrics files according
to FOP documentation and you'll be fine.

I hope that clear things up a bit.

On 29.05.2003 17:02:38 Teator, Michael wrote:
> In light of recent discovery that MT Arial is the new standard font to
> replace Helvetica in PDF, we'd like to move our products to using it.
> However, if you specify "MT Arial" as the font family in FOP, it says it
> cannot be located.  Does FOP have to be updated to a newer version of the
> PDF spec to recognize MT Arial as one of the standard 14 fonts?

Jeremias Maerki