Graham Hannington wrote:
I can already use both MS Mincho (monospace) and MS PMincho (the "P" stands
for "Proportional") just fine. The problem is that I cannot make these fonts
appear in different weights. (Or perhaps I've completely missed the point of
your email?)

FOP does not have an engine to create fonts with different weight a single typeface definition. You must supply a separate typeface definition for every weight you want to use. The MS Mincho TTC apparently contains only a single typeface definition for Mincho (monospace) or PMincho (propiortional), respectively. This means You'll have to get a bold Mincho font from elsewhere.

J.Pietschmann