> -+   > <fo:block>
> -+   > <fo:inline font-family="arial">a</fo:inline>  >
> -+  <fo:inline font-family="courrier">b</fo:inline>
> -+   > <fo:inline font-family="arial">c</fo:inline>  >
> -+  <fo:inline font-family="courrier">d</fo:inline>
> -+   > </fo:block>
> -+   >
> -+   > is there any way to get 'a' 'b' 'c' 'd' to render on one line?
> -+
> -+  There is no reason why it won't be rendered on one line. If
> -+  you mean you don't want the whitespace between a and b and
> -+  so on, then no, there is no way to do this without keeping
> -+  the line breaks out of the text content.
> -+
>
> You're right, there's no reason. But it is. My output seems like this:

Did you try to set
    white-space-collapse="true"
in the surrounding fo:block element?
This should solve the problem of the linebreaks beeing rendered.
Maybe you set it to false in a parent element of this block as i think it is
set to true by default.
See attachments for examples.

The bad thing about this is that the linebreaks are not completely discarded
but replaced by simple spaces.
And the properties that should be able to solve this (as far as i understand
the documentation) are not yet supported.
See http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-blockandline for this.

So if you need absolutely no whitespaces between the characters at all, i think
there's no other way than to put them all into one
line.
At least with the actual FOP version.

Kind regards,
Roland
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

	<fo:layout-master-set>

    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="test"
                  page-height="8cm"
                  page-width="8cm"
                  margin-top="2mm"
                  margin-bottom="2mm"
                  margin-left="2mm"
                  margin-right="2mm">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>

  	<fo:page-sequence-master master-reference="contents">
  	  <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-reference="test"/>
  	</fo:page-sequence-master>

  </fo:layout-master-set>

<fo:page-sequence master-name="contents">
<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body" font-size="12pt" white-space-collapse="false">

<fo:block>
All whitespaces are rendered here.
<fo:inline color="green">a</fo:inline>
<fo:inline color="red">b</fo:inline>