Oops!  I did use the "-enc ansi" when attempting to build my own font
class, but I never tried actually using that font metric file.  It does
reduce the time drastically, to within a couple tenths of a second of a
Base-14 font.

Since I am new to font creation, what is reason for the better performance?
The best I can determine is that with WINANSI, we access the encoded
letters directly and with CID we access the glyphs to build the
letters??????????

Thanks for you help!

Scott

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             stems.com
             02/24/2004 04:08          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: non Base-14 fonts and
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]         performance.
                  he.org

I did try that by using the "-enc ansi" parameter on the TTFReader program.
The results I noted earlier reflect that font metric generation.

Thanks,

Scott

             "J.Pietschmann"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             e>                                                         To
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             02/24/2004 04:01                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: non Base-14 fonts and
             Please respond to         performance.
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  he.org

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> During performance tuning, I came across the issue of non Base-14 fonts
> killing performance.  I have a pdf that renders in 20 seconds using the
> Helvetica font but when the font is changed to a ttf file via the
> userconfig.xml, the render time takes 2 minutes or more.
> Does anybody else know what might be happening?

If you use only the ASCII/ISO-8859-1 part of the font, try to
generate the metrics with -winansi encoding (or roughly like
this).

J.Pietschmann