Paul,

On May 25, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Paul Tremblay wrote:
I cannot get Symbol font to render.

Here is a snippet of my code:

<fo:block
            font-family = "Symbol">

            Hello world in Symbol
        </fo:block>

I don't get an error message when fop runs, but when I open the resulting file in a PDF viewer, I see:

##### ##### ## ######

I get a simlar problem when I use ZapfDingbats: rather than differnet
characters, I see the scissors symbol repeated for each letter.

I believe Symbol and ZapfDingbats are built into fop, right?

(By the way, are there any other fonts built it, besides Times,
Helvitical, and Courrier?)

Thanks

Paul

I don't know why it's not working for you. Is it possible you don't have Symbol on *your* system? (Do you get errors when running FOP? Try running FOP with the '-d' debug flag...). Try loading it on another computer.

BTW, the definitive source for information is the FOP Fonts page[1].

Web Maestro Clay

p.s. It's also possible you 'typed' 'Symbol' incorrectly. I notice that you've misspelled 'Helvetica' and 'Courier'. As for others, there are 14 'base fonts', but they are normal, bold, italic, bold italic variants of Helvetica, Times & Courier, plus Symbol & ZapfDingbats.

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html