Paul Tremblay wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:13:36PM +0200, J.Pietschmann wrote:

Ghostscript and KDE come with completely free fonts, and I've seen
TTF conversion for them. I'm just too lazy right know to search through
their distributions for the actual font names and fedd this into Google.
I als vaguely remember that the Lucid TTF included in Sun's JDK (perhaps
Linux only) doesn't have license restrictions.

I have these fonts on my system. But I don't see any font.pfb file.
Without that file, I don't believe I can use the font with FOP. I hope I
am wrong here, because if so, then I do have a set of high-quality fonts
right on my own computer.

From the AMS web site http://www.ams.org/tex/type1-fonts.html

<quote>
These fonts are available in Macintosh and PFB (binary Type 1) outline formats. Users requiring the fonts in PFA (ASCII Type 1) form should convert them with the aid of one of the following tools, available from the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN):

    * fonts/utilities/ps2mf/pfb2pfa
    * fonts/utilities/ps2pk/ps2pk15/misc/pfb2pfa
    * systems/msdos/4alltex/diskp1/pfb2pfa.zip

The fonts have exactly the same metrics as the bitmap versions of the fonts generated by METAFONT. Therefore, the standard TFM files (available from CTAN in fonts/cm/tfm and fonts/amsfonts/tfm) should be used for TeX applications.
</quote>

Peter