On Jun 7, 2004, at 2:13 AM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
Christian Hattemer wrote:
<SNIP'd what='overflow stuff'>
The images are a bunch of line drawings and other illustrations from a
website I converted into DocBook.
The DocBook stylesheets include the images like this:
<fo:external-graphic src="url(images/NetworkModel/Basics/BachmanDiagram.GIF)" width="319px" height="159px" content-width="auto" content-height="auto"/>
So the image dimensions are specified. But it seems the unit "px" isn't
enough to make the images look nice. Looking at the "Graphics Resolution"
section it seems that the dimensions should be specified in inches to
stop using the default 72 dpi.

Thats right pixel measurements are not enough information for FOP to scale the image to a fixed size. FOP would need to know a resolution as well, but that isnt implemented right now. The only way FOP will scale the image to a particular size is if you tell FOP the measurement.

If it's true that graphics measurements specified in INCHES yields better results than PX, that certainly is news, and would (if reproducible) warrant special mention on the FOP Graphics page. Can you also do a test to see if the results are similar if you specify mm and cm (millimeters & centimeters of course ;-)) as well?

BTW, I don't know if this is related, but GIF images do not scale well, as they are a form of a INDEXED BITMAP image. JPG images scale much better. This could be part of the problem. If you're working with line drawings, perhaps SVG might be a better format to use in your documents.

This leads to the question: How can I find out the actual resolution of my
images and calculate the dimensions in inches? Do I have to modify the
generated fo afterwards to include the calculated dimensions?

Dont you know the resolution of the images? It is difficult for me to answer this question as I dont know where you get the images from. In my environment, the system responsible for generating the images stores the measurements in cm/mm/inches along with the resolution and the image itself.

Chris

Can't you just load the image directly into a web browser:

images/NetworkModel/Basics/BachmanDiagram.GIF

Web Maestro Clay