OK, I can get it to work if I manually remove the carriage returns and
place the marker inside an inline:

<fo:inline><fo:marker
marker-class-name="marker__bill_of_lading">RBHZ&amp;P000000111</fo:marker></fo:inline>
<fo:inline><fo:marker marker-class-name="marker__carrier"/></fo:inline>

However, xalan will not let me do this.  When run the code through it, I
get:

<fo:inline>
<fo:marker
marker-class-name="marker__bill_of_lading">RBHZ&amp;P000000111</fo:marker>
</fo:inline>
<fo:inline>
<fo:marker marker-class-name="marker__carrier"/>
</fo:inline>

Which generates the error.  It looks like I might have to move this
discussion to the xalan group or try to implement what Clay showed on an
earlier thread.

-Lou

                      "J.Pietschmann"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      de>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: fo:marker initial
child error
                      07/01/2004 13:13

                      Please respond

                      to fop-user

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here is a sample table cell from the xalan processor (I stripped out
almost
> anything that might cause an issue):
>
> <fo:table-row>
> <fo:table-cell>
> <fo:marker

I'd suspect the line feed before the fo:marker might cause the
problem. Every marker will trigger this.

I also suggest to put the markers into a fo:block in the cell
(there must be at least one anyway, I vaguely remember problems
if a marker was an immediate child of a fo:table-row or fo:table-cell.

J.Pietschmann