Varadharajan Sethuraman wrote:

<snip/>

org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("baseDir","/my/base/dir");
Here is another that sets baseDir in a Windows environment:
org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("baseDir","C:\my\base\dir");
How do I use that values for /font-metrics or embed-file attribute /in the userconfig.xml?

Just specify relative paths in the font metrics or embed file attributes in the userconfig.xml file and the relative paths will be resolved against the base directory. So for example, if you want to reference a metrics file at c:\my\base\dir\fontmetrics1.xml and ttf file c:\my\base\dir\arial.ttf then specify

org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("fontBaseDir","/my/base/dir");

and in the userconfig.xml

<snip/>

Chris