Thank you for your reply; unfortunately I got the same output when giving
TTFReader the '-enc ansi' option.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>$ java -cp
~/src/fop-0.20.5/build/fop.jar:~/src/fop-0.20.5/lib/avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar:~/src/fop-0.20.5/lib/xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar:~/src/fop-0.20.5/lib/xalan-2.4.1.jar
 org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -enc ansi ~/fonts/OCR/OCR-A.TTF
~/fonts/OCR/OCR.xml
TTF Reader v1.1.1

Reading /home/mpartridge/fonts/OCR/OCR-A.TTF...

Number of glyphs in font: 115
Unicode cmap table not present
        at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:507)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.TTFFile.createCMaps(TTFFile.java:449)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:439)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:222)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:184)

I've been searching for ways to generate a Unicode cmap table and I've found
tools to translate cmap tables but nothing to create one in an existing font.
If anyone knows of an app that can do this, please let me know.

Mike Partridge