Ma, Liang wrote:
Now here is another minor problem. Every time when I first run the servlet
to generate a pdf file after rebooting tomcat or leaving it for a couple of
days, it gives me the following exception. Then I run it again, it works
fine. Looks like there is something missing to initialize fop in my servlet.
root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Service.providers(Driver.java:597)

Ah, the dreaded class loader problem. Actually, I don't understand class loading in web apps well enough to point you to a solution. You might ask this on an appropriate Tomcat list (be prepared for getting flamed for using code which is not "web app ready")

J.Pietschmann