"Ask Jeremias" Good name for a company. :-)

Anyway, as far as I can tell you can omit the embed-file for Type1 fonts
if the name under which the font is registered matches a font that is
registered in your operating system's font subsystem. For TrueType this
doesn't work because currently FOP does something wrong with the
(multibyte) character encodings. It may work if you're using an 8 bit
encoding though I haven't tested. This encoding problem is fixed in
Foray where omitting "embed-file" might work, though I haven't tested
either.

I've used non-embedded Type1 fonts so the PDF/PS file sizes stay small
for high-volume processing. The fonts were installed directly in the
printer's RIPs.

On 10.11.2004 00:39:53 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
> > Thank you for the info, Joerg. So, what does this look like? Is it
> > something like this:
> >
> > Font declaration *with* embedding:
> >       embed-file="C:\myfonts\FTL_____.pfb">
> >
> > Font declaration *without* embedding:
> >
> > Is that correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> > It would be good to add this information to the FOP Fonts page. This
> > additional Adobe Acrobat/Reader information would be good to add to
> > either a "NOTE" or a "WARNING" breakout box. I'll see what I can do.
>
> The info about the Adobe Type Manager is from someone else.
> Ask Jeremias, or search the list archive. I never got PDF
> with user fonts which were not embedded working. Other PDF
> tools can do this (i.e. put some info about the font into
> the PDF which causes Acrobat Reader to ask the OS for fonts).

Jeremias Maerki