Bobby,

Regarding 1. The ability to handle arbitrary-sized page-sequences is a fundamental part of Defoe <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/>, by design. I think it is fair to say that there is no corresponding capability in the current HEAD re-development of FOP.

Defoe is the continuation of the alt-design strand of FOP. Defoe will be in a symbiotic relationship with the new Apache XML-Graphics project (incorporating FOP and Batik). I anticipate that the Graphics2D-compatible PDF renderer, which exist in skeletal form in the current FOP codebase, will handle PDF for Defoe.

I encourage anyone who specifically needs large-file support to become involved in the development of Defoe. If you don't have time to code or write documentation, just send money. (Well, as soon as I get an AU$-friendly donation scheme in place.)

Peter

bobby abraham wrote:
I am getting an out of memory exception for my large (51M fo file). It consists of a single table and single page sequence.

I have read and understand the memory issues listed at http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html#memory I also note this this has been discussed often on the mail lists.
1. Is the ability to have arbitrary sized page-sequences being addressed by the fop redesign ? ie Is this something worth waiting for or possibly helping out with ?