robert frapples wrote:
This leads me to believe that I should be using 7.  With 7 or with 1
(and no other 1's), it still breaks:
Frap-
ples,Robert(Age-
ncy)

I also tried setting this in my {src-dir}/src/hyph/en.xml and
recompiling fop.jar.  Still no luck.

Try running java -classpath ...fop.jar \ org.apache.fop.layout.hyphenation.HyphenationTree This class has a main function, which can be used for debugging (check the source for details). You can use this to check whether the problem is with the hyphenation librabry code and/or your pattern definitions or whether it is in the code invoking the hyphenator in the line layout.

J.Pietschmann