[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I am trying to resolve my images dynamically.
  <fo:external-graphic src="url(&quot;$pic&quot;)" content-height="201in"
scaling="uniform"></fo:external-graphic>
  Image=  <xsl:value-of select="$pic"/>
I get this from Xalan:
<fo:external-graphic scaling="uniform" content-height="201in" src="
url(&quot;$pic&quot;)"/>
I know this is a Xalan issue ...
> I have searched high and low in the Xalan
> and FOP Apache bug lists,

Wrong place to look, Xalan works as designed here. It is more an
issue about your understanding how XSLT works.
The  src="url(&quot;$pic&quot;)" is copied through to the output
literally, exactly as the spec says. XSLT is not a macro language
where everything prefixed with a $ is substituted or somesuch.
If you want to have $pic evaluated in other places than select
and test attributes of certain XSLT elements, you have to say so
explicitely. In your case, the magic is named "attribute value template"
or short AVT (google it), and it means that parts of attribute values
which are enclosed in braces are evaluated as XPath expressions.
More specifically, use
 <fo:external-graphic src="url(&quot;{$pic}&quot;)" ...
                                     ^    ^
Check your favorite XSLT book or online tutorial for details.

J.Pietschmann