I am maintaining an XSLT that converts RFC2629-style RFC documents to FO (thus, there's a good set of sources to try, but only a limited subset of XSL:FO is actually used). For instance, check <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.pdf>.

To support several distinct FO processors, I've been generating XSL-FO-1.1 for some time now, and use back-end XSLTs that either strip off 1.1 extensions or map them to custom extensions.

In general, I like FOP (last time I checked it was the only free processor that does *most* what I need). I'm also testing with evaluation versions of RenderX and AntennaHouse which seem to be more complete, though.

For FOP (0.20.5) and my specific application, the main drawbacks are:

- need to put in specific line-breaking hints because it doesn't understand @page-break-before='always'
- lack of automatic width computation in tables
- link area computation problems
- problems with many footnotes per page
- various hyphenation issues (discussed on fop-dev 18 months ago, as far as I remember)
- lack of custom extensions to map XSL 1.1 features to (for duplicate elimination in the index)

Lots of samples are on <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/>, the code itself can be found in <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt.zip>

Best regards, Julian