Hi, Kai,

I would need a bit more detail to be able to help with that. Please post
the smallest (but still still complete) set of XML files (input and
desired output) that you want. That way, we can see what you mean.

A couple observations, though: You can't walk back up the tree from a
parameter passed to a template by using path expressions. Thus, you can't
get the parent of a node you passed as a parameter by using .. or a
similar construct. If memory serves, this problem arises because, when you
pass a path as a parameter, you really pass a result tree fragment.
Unfortunately, the result tree fragment has its own root node (the node
you passed), so you can't go up from there. To solve this problem, you
need more information. In the past, I have used a text representation of
the full path (from the document root) to the node I want. Then I can use
the name() function and predicate logic to walk back up the path. If you
only need to go up one level, you could pass the parent node as another
parameter. That method is not extensible, but it will work, so long as you
really only need to go up one level.

Also, you should subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask that
question there. The heavy hitters in the XSL world read that list.

HTH

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Kai Hackemesser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
02/21/2005 09:27 AM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
XSLT Question

Hello,

I know this is not quite the right mailing list for that question, but
maybe
somebody here knows?

I need to create a kind of recursive call-template, where certain
attributes
from different parent elements are needed. I want to do a call to a
template
by itself, giving it the parent element as parameter. Ho can I evaluate
the
parent of a parameter given node? Or how do I set a parent element to be
current() element? While in a call?

Regards,
Kai