Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

I set <xsl:output encoding="ISO-8859-1"/> in my xsl as encoding
output but on a window system   is rendered as a space ; on unix
system    is rendered as A^ (unique character)
It look like the mapping is dependent by system.
Possible?

In order to know for sure, a few more questions:

- Which JVMs are you using? (Which version on Windows, which one on Linux?)
- Are you using the same XSLT processor on both platforms? If so, is it the
same version? If not, maybe one of them doesn't fully support
<xsl:output-encoding /> (as I recall, it is not mandatory according to the
XSLT Spec.)

I'd also try posting this question on Xalan's user-list. If both XSLT
processors are Xalan, their development team is far more likely to offer you
an explanation...

What is your locale on linux? Type the word locale at a command line prompt.

&#160; is A0 in hex; 1100 0000 in binary. When this value is represented in UTF-8, it becomes the two-byte sequence 1100 0011 1000 0000, or C2 80 in hex. C2 is the  (capital A with circumflex) character that you are seeing in linux. The 80 is, I believe, treated as a null character, i.e. like 00, when encountered in an ISO 8859-1 character set. So it looks as though your &#160; is beng translated into UTF-8, then read on your linux system as two ISO 8859-1 (or -15) characters.

Peter
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/> <http://folio.bkbits.net/>