Why not? Have a look at my RFC2397 [1] implementation which is exactly
what you were thinking about, a new URL protocol handler. I've written
stuff like this before, for example an URL handler that accessed a
virtual file system implemented in Java. I can recommend an excellent
document [2].

The next FOP release will contain the possibility to intercept the URI
resolution so you can supply your own InputStream which is also a
possibility. But that won't help you for your current situation.

I'd go for the URL protocol handler. Such a thing is written in 2 or 3
hours especially if you have a template.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=110875657902117&w=2
[2] http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/protocolhandlers/

I hope that helps.